Purple Solid Shampoo Bar

coralbea

Hi Everyone, I am a total newbie, not just on here but to soap making as well. I am going to be concentrating on Goats Milk Soap and Solid Shampoo and Conditioner Bars. My goal is to keep them as natural as possible using no synthetic , fragrances, additives or colourants if possible. So I am searching for the best purple toner colour for the Shampoo and conditioner bar. My intended sales target are for toning blonde, Grey, silver, white hair. I have a wellbeing room in a caravan Park where I have a lot of retiree travelers. I myself use a purple shampoo and I will be using the bars once I make them to keep my silver locks sparkly.
I did research Gentian Violet but there are studies concerned with carcinogenic worries, so I scrapped that
Any ideas and advice will be welcome.
Blessings x

coralbea

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I'm asking too much for completely natural lol. So ill take what ever suggestion anyone has and go from there. Much appreciated x

ChemicalPyros

Violet is really tricky, the most stable ones I used are Mica coloring, some organic dyes work especially when you mix blue and red, but keep in mind that the color change with pH, so I have seen the violet after one month of curing, which makes it a bit difficult ot know if the mixture worked or no.

coralbea

Violet is really tricky, the most stable ones I used are Mica coloring, some organic dyes work especially when you mix blue and red, but keep in mind that the color change with pH, so I have seen the violet after one month of curing, which makes it a bit difficult ot know if the mixture worked or no.

WilliamD

As a suggestion, you can look up the following: Alkanet Root (Purple to Blue Color), Madder Root (Red to Purple Color) and Even Blue Cornmeal (Purplish Blue) for coloring and to use as an exfoliant. Good Luck.....Bill

tgirlsoap

Premium
You can also consider Red Sandalwood powder. It turns purple and has a slight "grainy" look, but the purple color is quite nice. I found it at Brambleberry.com

smcarroll2020

Hi. Soap bar is NOT shampoo. Please be careful how you market this. Shampoos have a much lower pH than soap, with a target range around pH of 5.5 to 6.5, which keeps the hair cuticle tight and closed, and gives shiny, smooth hair. Shampoo, with its high pH will cleanse the hair, but also causes the hair cuticle to open, which causes hair to tangle and also be vulnerable to breakage.

smcarroll2020

Hi. Soap bars can clean hair, the problem is the soap pH. You can't lower it enough to match the pH of a true shampoo (pH 5.0-6.5).

If you want a soap hair cleanser bar, you can add hair conditioning ingredients, use butters that are good for the hair like murumuru.

The bottom line is that chemically it is a soap. It's okay to sell soap to clean hair. There are some people have a hair type that can handle the pH of soap, but soaps often leave a draggy or heavy feel to that hair and it usually leaves a residue. And the hair shaft cuticle is wide open, which can lead to tangled and knotted hair.

If you have the hair type that can handle cleansing via soap, I'd recommend you try the formulation on your hair and see what you think.

Post trace, you could some panthenol or hair anti-static ingredients that might help condition the hair, but the trick for soap hair cleansers is to follow with a very acid conditioner, like apple cider vinegar to close the hair cuticle so it wont tangle and might even add some shine

Whillow

Premium
Hi Everyone, I am a total newbie, not just on here but to soap making as well. I am going to be concentrating on Goats Milk Soap and Solid Shampoo and Conditioner Bars. My goal is to keep them as natural as possible using no synthetic , fragrances, additives or colourants if possible. So I am searching for the best purple toner colour for the Shampoo and conditioner bar. My intended sales target are for toning blonde, Grey, silver, white hair. I have a wellbeing room in a caravan Park where I have a lot of retiree travelers. I myself use a purple shampoo and I will be using the bars once I make them to keep my silver locks sparkly.
I did research Gentian Violet but there are studies concerned with carcinogenic worries, so I scrapped that
Any ideas and advice will be welcome.
Blessings x
Hi there,
I'm sure you have an answer by now, but thought I would let you know of the colourant I used for my shampoo bars (no lye) and the ones with noodles...anyways, I used Hibiscus Flower Powder.

coralbea

Hi there,
I'm sure you have an answer by now, but thought I would let you know of the colourant I used for my shampoo bars (no lye) and the ones with noodles...anyways, I used Hibiscus Flower Powder.
Thank you for your info Whillow, no I haven't found a solution yet, but tbh I have not really had the time to pursue the purple dye. I use hibiscus flower in my body cream and it gives beautiful pink colour. I was looking for more purple for blonde or silver hair. I found Butterfly Pea Flower which is another one I use in my body cream, but I cannot get the colour in oil. It as does hibiscus flower requires water to release the colour. I will look.for it in powfered form like your hibiscus. My shampoo has no water phase either, oils and needles. Someone mention red sandalwood powder, I'll have a look at that as well. Otherwise I will probably go for a violet dye. Xx