Product Liability Insurance

alexandramason

Hi everyone,

I am new to soap making but I've heard that in order to sell your soap it is a good idea to purchase product liability insurance. I have reached out to several local insurance companies and they have mentioned that soap is in a high risk category as it touches the skin and for that reason the premiums would be too large for a small business like mine. I know that there is a lot of people making soap as small business is hard to believe that they are paying $5000/yr. Do you guys recommend any particular insurance company that is familiar already with this market?

Thank you so much for your help.

Alex

Davali

Premium
I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner, @alexandramason. For the US, you can check with the Handcrafted Soap and Cosmetics Guild. I believe their least expensive premium is $500 per year including the guild membership fee, but I haven't checked their prices recently. If you go to their site, they also have helpful articles about business insurance in general. Good luck, and happy selling!

Felice

Handmade Artisan Insurance is an Ohio-based company that offers liability insurance for soap makers too. About $300 annually.