How to use the master batch function

singingwhalen

Premium
I am curious about how to the use master batch function. If someone could walk me through I would appreciate it. I see that the total of the 'liquid required' and the 'master batch lye weight' numbers change. Any information and help would be helpful to me. Thanks so much!

Thank you all so much for your responses. I have taken a screen shot of a recipe. The master batch function is on and set to 1:1. (I usually use a 1.75:1 ratio. but for ease I used a 2:1 ratio). When I look at the formula, I don't understand how there is so much lye. Do I have to subtract the 'liquid required' from the 'master batch lye weight' and what's left would be the extra liquid I would need to bring my lye water to 2:1? It's confusing to me. It seems like it should give a separate lye weight like it does when the 'master batch' function is turned off. Walk me through please:)
Screenshot (1).png

Last edited:

jnaggy

hi,
from my understanding, i use master batch function when I have made a 50/50 lye solution, then the masterbatch lye weight is the amount of the solution that I will measure for the soap. then the liquid required is the additional amount of water/milk that I will add to reach the lye concentration I want like 33.33% or 40% lye concentration

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
Masterbatch means you mix all of your water and lye in advance, and keep it on hand. (I put mine in a big old detergent jug with huge unmistakeable labels of danger! lye! all over it). That way, the lye/water is premixed and at room temperature whenever I want to make soap. In the past I did a 50/50 (which is 1:1 in the calculator, equal parts water and lye).

When I make soap, I generally need more liquid in the recipe than that master batch. So I recently started 2:1 water:lye so I never need to add more liquid if using water since my recipes all are 2:1.

Anyway, your recipe then will show you the amount of your masterbatched water:lye mixture as well as any additional liquid you may need for the recipe you are using at that time.

PhotoStamper2

When I masterbatched; Here is how I used it with my original recipe. Say, your recipe calls for 7 oz of lye and 14 oz of distilled water. I used 7 oz of lye and 7 oz of distilled water. And the other 7 oz liquid that was left over, I added it to the oil before the lye/water was added. I used either 7 oz of coconut milk or 7 oz of Goat milk or 7 oz of distilled water, or 7 oz of aloe vera juice.