Soap classes

Sarah

Does anyone teach soap making classes? What does one charge? After 25 years of making CP soap I’m thinking of teaching classes. Any suggestions?

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
I do, but only as part of a community effort to use an old school. The funding comes from a small millage in our county, so it's enough for them to keep the lights on but not to offer free programs. They rent a few spaces permanently, but I can do it there as part of the effort. Anyway, I would buy all of the ingredients and then divide the amount by the students. I'd tell them to bring their own shoebox or loaf pan sized containers for molds, bring fragrance oil or essential oil if using, and to wear long sleeves. I provide the ingredients for fragrance-free soap, the equipment, and the safety googles, the recipe and handouts, etc. The cost is not very much (just enough to cover the costs plus about 15%). I think it was $25 for the three hour class.

About 10 years ago, I gave some soap to a friend to try- and she now has a very successful business. That's very satisfying!

MrsBeasley

$45 per person for a 2.5 hour class. Class size 2 to 3 students in my kitchen.
I provide all materials and supplies. Each student makes a 400g batch.
We do CPOP. The students pour their batter into 4 oz paper cups -like the kind you get catchup in where the sides pull apart. With these 4 oz paper cups, they have nice uniform round bars to take home. I buy the cups at the restaurant supply store. They take their soap home in another food box I get at the restaurant supply store. The six round soaps fit in the to go food type box. Because we oven process and we use the 1:1 method, their round bars are ready often ready to unmold before they leave.
If the student has time and wants to make a second 400g batch, the additional cost is $10. They can also purchase bars.
I can go on and on about all the logistics I have down for classes... lol!
It is more fun than selling soap at farmer's markets!
I have people on a waiting list.
Post on your local Meetup.
Also, you can create a "local experience" on Airbnb for soapmaking.

101Sheilas

$45 per person for a 2.5 hour class. Class size 2 to 3 students in my kitchen.

I can go on and on about all the logistics I have down for classes... lol!

Hi Mrs. Beasley, Please go on and on, I think that teaching others will be very satisfying. It might be a therapeutic as horse and dog therapy, wouldn't you say? Anyway, I find making soap very zen, but I have to keep my focus. I am not sure how it would be with others.... So please do share your logistics tips. Thank you so much!

SherylG

I have done soap demos before, $20 per person. I had almost 40 people there for a three hour evening. The prep time was significant. I had soap in various stages to show what it looks like next and what to do with it. They each got to take a bar home, from a previously finished batch. I'm not going to teach classes here as this is a really small town and my client base is small enough as it is.

Hello sweetie I am Durrani from Afghanistan, I am a small business making laundry soap. I use the cold soap making process now I want to use the hot soap making process and grow the business. I am quite unfamiliar with the hot process of making soap. I am in dire need of formulations and soap baking methods in the hot process and I hope that they will cooperate with me. I am very grateful to all the internationals who have always cooperated with us.
Can someone help me with the formulation and other parts of the hot soap process? The raw materials I have on hand are Cottonseed oil, vegetable oils, animal fats, sodium hydroxide, perfumes, SLS, and more.

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
Hello sweetie I am Durrani from Afghanistan, I am a small business making laundry soap. I use the cold soap making process now I want to use the hot soap making process and grow the business. I am quite unfamiliar with the hot process of making soap. I am in dire need of formulations and soap baking methods in the hot process and I hope that they will cooperate with me. I am very grateful to all the internationals who have always cooperated with us.
Can someone help me with the formulation and other parts of the hot soap process? The raw materials I have on hand are Cottonseed oil, vegetable oils, animal fats, sodium hydroxide, perfumes, SLS, and more.

Hot process is the same as cold process in most ways; just that you cook the soap rather than pouring into molds to finish. Most cook the soap in a crock pot until it doesn't 'zap' and is finished saponifying, and then press into molds as it is generally too thick and firm to pour. The recipes will be the same, and you'd add the additives at the end.

crysaris

I have done soap demos before, $20 per person. I had almost 40 people there for a three hour evening. The prep time was significant. I had soap in various stages to show what it looks like next and what to do with it. They each got to take a bar home, from a previously finished batch. I'm not going to teach classes here as this is a really small town and my client base is small enough as it is.
I'm in podunk rural Iowa. I hear you on small towns. I wish I could move back to Atlanta there's so much potential for a vast number kf money making ideas I have in my head. Being a recent widow with 2 sons left to raise I have to figure out what I can do in a real community to keep my head above water.