Michelle Rahrig
New member
- Joined
- Sep 5, 2026
- Messages
- 2
How do I up the cleansing rate im my soap what do i add?
OK thank you so much I was freaking out because mine said 5. I saw other recipes higher. How embarrassed I would be to have dirty soap. Lol.Coconut oil is the most common way. However, it is also drying/stripping in large amounts as that’s what a high cleansing rate does. A soap with a cleansing number of 0 will still clean, since the way soap works is it grabs ‘dirt’ even with a cleansing number of 0. I use coconut oil in my laundry soap, with a superfat of 0 to get a high cleansing number, but I’d never use it as a shower soap for example.
The most gentle soaps have low or very low cleaning numbers as a rule, but it’s more of an estimate of the oils’ qualities than a real solid cleaning number.OK thank you so much I was freaking out because mine said 5. I saw other recipes higher. How embarrassed I would be to have dirty soap. Lol.

Whether you're just starting out or you're a seasoned professional, Soapmaking Friend comes with a set of tools to help you develop recipes, guide you through making those recipes, track their progress, manage your inventory and do cost analysis on your batches.