how to raise the cleaning rate in soap

Coconut oil is the most common way. However, it is also drying/stripping in large amounts as that’s what a high cleansing rate does. A soap with a cleansing number of 0 will still clean, since the way soap works is it grabs ‘dirt’ even with a cleansing number of 0. I use coconut oil in my laundry soap, with a superfat of 0 to get a high cleansing number, but I’d never use it as a shower soap for example.
 
Coconut oil is the most common way. However, it is also drying/stripping in large amounts as that’s what a high cleansing rate does. A soap with a cleansing number of 0 will still clean, since the way soap works is it grabs ‘dirt’ even with a cleansing number of 0. I use coconut oil in my laundry soap, with a superfat of 0 to get a high cleansing number, but I’d never use it as a shower soap for example.
OK thank you so much I was freaking out because mine said 5. I saw other recipes higher. How embarrassed I would be to have dirty soap. Lol.
 
OK thank you so much I was freaking out because mine said 5. I saw other recipes higher. How embarrassed I would be to have dirty soap. Lol.
The most gentle soaps have low or very low cleaning numbers as a rule, but it’s more of an estimate of the oils’ qualities than a real solid cleaning number.

Superfat also makes a difference. Here’s something really wild- I make a ‘spa bar’ soap. It’s 100% coconut oil with 50% sea salt added. The numbers say it should be taking my skin off! BUT I do it with 20-25% superfat and it’s the richest most wonderful soap leaving my skin feeling soft and conditioned. (I have, um, mature skin).
The numbers:
IMG_0455.webp

So can see it predicts a rock hard super bubbly cleansing (stripping!), non conditioning bar of soap based on those numbers and the type of oils. Instead, it’s rich, conditioning, creamy and with a lovely huge creamy lather.

The numbers are helpful for sure, but it doesn’t take into account the superfat, the additives (like goat’s milk or pumice) and so on. For beginners, it’s probably safest to keep an eye on the numbers and ask if it seems off, but once you get some experience it’s pretty easy to figure out what works for you.
 
Free Account
Save all your soap recipes.
Unlock powerful tools and join thousands of soapmakers.
  • Save & organize recipes
  • Recalculate batches instantly
  • Join the community
Create free account ›
Top