Sweating

Greg Bastiansz

I did three batches of soap just last week. The first batch was actually my first try on soap making. Started from scratch. No melt and pour for me. Used lye (NaOH). Result not so good. Many mistakes and errors. Learnt from them. Second batch was Neem and Tumeric soap. The problem I had with this batch was that I could not unmold the soap. It was somewhat soft and broke off the edges. The soaps of this batch are left to cure. 3rd batch was a Pink Himalayan Salt soap. I used 100% Coconut oil with 20% SF and added 5% Citric acid. Followed recipe by Tellervo.
This batch was made on the 5th and unmolded after 48 hours (7th). The following morning and this morning too, checked on this batch and observed "sweating" . Droplets of water forming on the outer surface of the soaps.

My question is whether this is normal with sea salt soaps during the curing process - the evaporation of excess water? Or something wrong with the preparation method?

How do one post photos on this forum?

Looking forward to friendly comments and suggestions.

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
Sweating is common if the area is humid. Curing the soaps in a less humid area is recommended. The reason is the glycerin in homemade soap- it’s a humectant and so will absorb moisture. Glycerin is one of the reasons homemade soap is so great on the skin, because of that quality.

Can you put the soap in a drier area so it can cure better?

Greg Bastiansz

I have had this problem with the salt soap only. The temperature in my city is 32°C as at this point of time. 05:45 p.m. anyway I have placed these soaps on top of my refrigerator in the kitchen. A bit warm but cannot do anything about humidity as rains expected by 07:00 this evening. Hopefully it will turn out okay as it continues to cure.

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
The salt soap has a much higher superfat, and so will attract more moisture. I don’t make salt soaps very often in florida because of the humidity- even with air conditioning and a dehumidifier, they can really sweat.

Greg Bastiansz

This evening checked on my salt soap. " Sweating" stopped. No more beads of water on surface and f the cakes of soap. Let them dry over the refrigerator top. However humidity as at right now is 93%. Time is 11:45 p.m. (15 minutes to midnight)Screenshot_20230411_234356.jpg

seraphim

Salt is a humectant....it attracts water. All soap will sweat, there are many factors that come into play here. My advice is to do a very simple soap with simple ingredients that provide great benefits just like recipes with exotic oils. I am not sure where you are located but try to source simple oils to make your soap. Some of the best soaps are made with simple ingredients.