Super Fat Issue - Web App

kcryss

Premium
I changed the super fat in a recipe I am making right now, but it didn't change the amount to use. I tried deleting cache/cookies and tried again, did not solve the problem. For now I can just calculate on my own what is needed but wanted to report the bug.
Ex: Had originally set sf to 4, result was 20 grams needed. Decided to go with 2% and it did not change. Still showing 20 grams.

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
I changed the super fat in a recipe I am making right now, but it didn't change the amount to use. I tried deleting cache/cookies and tried again, did not solve the problem. For now I can just calculate on my own what is needed but wanted to report the bug.
Ex: Had originally set sf to 4, result was 20 grams needed. Decided to go with 2% and it did not change. Still showing 20 grams.

Can you give me the name of the recipe so I can look into this? Thank you!

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
I’m doing some testing, and it seems to be working fine.
Keep in mind that changing the superfat amount doesn’t change the amount of oils you use in a batch if you specify the amount of oils you want. For example, I’m doing a 25 ounce (oils) batch that fits my mold.

In the first photo, it’s a 5% superfat.
0B34638A-A64D-424E-B01D-C88C9BF6CCB8.jpeg

I’m making the same size batch, but this time it’s a whopping 25% superfat.
910F8656-BCBB-4267-BCF5-E7D1FCBA0AFC.jpeg

You can see that the amount of oils hasn’t changed a bit- it’s still a 25 ounce batch. But the lye has significantly decreased in the 25% superfat.
Superfat is sometimes called a ‘lye discount’ because less lye is used in the same sized batch for a higher superfat (more fat unsaponified because of less lye).

If you’re doing the superfat after cook, however, that does add some oil after the cook and you can see that addition in the results:
59AFB858-83CA-4B06-99FA-68B986F253AE.jpeg

If you are getting different results than I’ve shown above, please let us know the exact recipe and issue, so we can get it sorted. Also, if you’re using an app, please let us know if it’s iOS or Android.

kcryss

Premium
But shouldn't the amount change for superfat after cook?
The recipe is the most recent, mechanic soap apr23_2