Sea water for soap?

woolyrunnerlady

I live nearby the ocean and love what the ocean water does for my skin every summer and would love to use that in my soap. So far I've only done small batches of soap with distilled water and have added salt to the lye water, but it isn't the same as the thought of using the ocean to make soap! Has anyone here used water from the ocean to make their soap? Can you report back any findings?

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
You’re talking about soleseife soap- a soap made with saltwater. They are very popular, but I’ve ever done it exactly like that. I do make salt bars- the spa bar type of bars made with 50% salt, and I love those!
Soleseife soap is easy to make, and you’ll really like it.

TheVillageSoapery

Premium
I used sea water when I lived close to the ocean. It made beautiful soap - that hardened quickly. Now I use "instant ocean" (used for marine aquariums).
Natural sea water has an approximate salt solution (salt:water) of 12 to 15% (of water weight). To make a brine solution (sea salt or instant ocean) you can go as high as 30% of water weight. These guys were made with a 25% solution. When I say harden quickly - I mean quickly! Individual molds are easiest, otherwise you will need to monitor and cut bars from a loaf within a couple of hours, otherwise they crumble.
Welcome to the world of Soleseife.87

Last edited:

MGRex

I have only tried once to make soleseife soap. I understand what you want to achieve, but it is almost impossible. I mean, you can "recreate" that effect using the ocean water. However, it will not be identical. They are straightforward to be done, but if you hope it will bring you the same effect as the ocean, you will be disappointed. That is why I prefer mild soaps. They are easier to be done, and they are more efficient. If you are not really sure about mild soaps, just read this article #1 Rated Sulfate & Paraben-Free Soap Revealed [Updated 2021]. It will help you understand the benefits of mild soaps and especially parabens-free soaps.

Last edited: