recipe feedback and opinion

ChemicalPyros

The recipe seems good, but I would recommend that you reduce the castor oil to below 5% because it might affect the smell of the soap. Otherwise, the soap is good enough, good luck in soapmaking.

ChemicalPyros

Thank you for taking my recommendation into consideration.

The formula looks great, and in any case, if you have the time and patience try both recipes and compare them, this is the only way for you to learn and become an expert soapmaker.

arunagirinathar

Hello All,

A few weeks back, I made the recipe and attached with this post are pictures of the bar.

Thank you again for the feedback.

A small doubt -- does the temperature at which the oil and lye is mixed affect the quality of the soap ? The first batch mixed at more than double the temperature of the second batch seems to have a higher glycerol content since it seems to be attracting moisture and precipitation of water is quite visible on its surface.

Also is a higher glycerol content good for the skin ? Or should it be minimised (by mixing the oils and lye at a lower temperature ?? ) ?

The only extra additive I added to the batches were Clay for the 1st batch and
Cocoa (Cacao?) Powder for the second batch. I hope that adding these additives did not change the nature of the soap.

I ask this because, the first batch seems to be "sweating" a lot (??); the first batch was mixed close to 70 degrees C (lye) and 60 deg C (oils), while the second batch was mixed close to room temperature around 27 deg C.

Image of a soap bar from the second batch

Image of a soap bar from the second batch

Soap bar from the first batch.

Water precipitation on the soap surface

One more question -- is it normal for silicone molds to bulge ? (See image 1). The one I have comes with buttress like structures along the length of the mold, perhaps for reinforcing the shape and yet the bulge is quite evident in the shape of the soap.

Thank you again for the guidance.