Goat's MIilk

MrSheaSoap

Most of the recipes I stumble on, that feature Goat's Milk, always have the milk frozen. They either combine it with the sodium hydroxide in place of water, or add the frozen milk with the melted oils. I've only used this milk a few times and I've never frozen it and only added it to the oils. After curing a batch for a minimum of 4 weeks, I tried the bar and it was a very creamy soap. I was really happy with the result. Can anyone tell me what advantage freezing the milk has over not freezing it? I assume the high temperature will affect the quality of the milk but are there any other reasons?

I've made over a dozen batches of soap and I've never measured the respective oils and lye solution temps. Why is it important to do this? Does false trace have something to do with this (i.e. decreasing the likelihood of it occurring?)

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
The only reason to freeze the goat’s milk is to keep it from burning. Goat’s milk (well, any milk) will turn dark and start to burn in hot temperatures. Sometimes it doesn’t burn that badly, and just gets darker and makes a tan soap. One time, mine overheated so badly that it turned orange brown, and then overheated in the mold, volcano-ing out of the mold.
If you’re having good results and don’t care if the soap is not bright white, then I wouldn’t worry about it.

zlisik

Does using dried-powdered goat (or any) milk help with the burning issue?

amberbeap

Most of the recipes I stumble on, that feature Goat's Milk, always have the milk frozen. They either combine it with the sodium hydroxide in place of water, or add the frozen milk with the melted oils. I've only used this milk a few times and I've never frozen it and only added it to the oils. After curing a batch for a minimum of 4 weeks, I tried the bar and it was a very creamy soap. I was really happy with the result. Can anyone tell me what advantage freezing the milk has over not freezing it? I assume the high temperature will affect the quality of the milk but are there any other reasons?

I've made over a dozen batches of soap and I've never measured the respective oils and lye solution temps. Why is it important to do this? Does false trace have something to do with this (i.e. decreasing the likelihood of it occurring?)
hello. i am just new to this site right now, : ), i am so excited to get a batch of "super soap" under my belt. I am for sure using goat milk, also cbd/thc infused honey. or that is my goal. so as i saw you do goat milk soap, i feel very comfortable to go ahead and make it and hopefully if i get in a qunundrum, maybe i can catch up to you here.
going in, the one thing I'm aware of using goat milk is that there is a shortened shelf life with it. any other tips i should be aware of before making a batch?? thank you though for posting up here. what a super big help forums are to the many projects we are out there doing. I've been on two others, craft brewing and motorcycle forums. i found them unbelievably helpful and also a great way to talk with others of similar intrests.
have a great soapy day! : )

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
hello. i am just new to this site right now, : ), i am so excited to get a batch of "super soap" under my belt. I am for sure using goat milk, also cbd/thc infused honey. or that is my goal. so as i saw you do goat milk soap, i feel very comfortable to go ahead and make it and hopefully if i get in a qunundrum, maybe i can catch up to you here.
going in, the one thing I'm aware of using goat milk is that there is a shortened shelf life with it. any other tips i should be aware of before making a batch?? thank you though for posting up here. what a super big help forums are to the many projects we are out there doing. I've been on two others, craft brewing and motorcycle forums. i found them unbelievably helpful and also a great way to talk with others of similar intrests.
have a great soapy day! : )

Why would goat's milk cause a soap to have a shortened shelf life? I'm very confused by that statement.

zlisik

I just did a batch of goatmilk soap today, with 12% honey. I've never come across any literature about goat milk, or any milk, shortening the shelf life of soap, but I'm no expert!

todays goatmilk soap was very successful. this is what i did:
- freeze the milk the night before
- use a metal lye-liquid mixing container and mix it in an ice water bath.
- my batch had 89g of lye, in a 2:1 mixture -- i added lye a little at a time, 5 times, stiring until the lye was gone, and then waiting 5 min until adding more. the milk was completely white, no browning at all
- i let the finished mixture sit in the ice water bath while i preped my oils
- eventually i took the lye milk mix out and let it come up to 20c (but didnt want to wait longer -- room temp is 35c here)
- i cooled my oils down to 35c (the hardest oil is shea which is about 39c melting point)
- i added all my additives, sodium lactate to the milk, a honey-cornstarch slurry to the oil, some tea bits from infusing some oil, hit it with the stick blender and then mixed the lye in -- the temp started off about 34c and started climbing. trace wasnt so fast but it was up to 40ish by the time i poured them all at very light trace
- i used individual molds (since they'd cool faster) and put them all in the freezer
2-3 hours later the color had lightened (it was a dark honey) and they seemed completely cool.
- i used no color and no EO/FO