Covering soap for gel phase

jaerostep

Premium
I've been making soap for 20 years or so and have always pressed freezer paper onto my soap once it goes into the mold. Then I cover it with a towel and leave it for 24 hours. Since it is goats milk, I cannot leave it in longer in the mold or I have issues. My question is, how do you all cover your soaps after you get them into the mold and not ruin any decorations on top? thanks

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
I’ve been soaping for 25+ years, and never used freezer paper on top. Why can’t you just cover it over the mold? The sides of my mold are higher than the top of the soap, but if not, place it in a box and then put a towel or something over that? I don’t quite understand what you are saying. Or don’t cover it, and instead put it in a box or a place out of drafts? I’ve never, not even once, placed anything on tap of my soap directly.

jaerostep

Premium
I’ve been soaping for 25+ years, and never used freezer paper on top. Why can’t you just cover it over the mold? The sides of my mold are higher than the top of the soap, but if not, place it in a box and then put a towel or something over that? I don’t quite understand what you are saying. Or don’t cover it, and instead put it in a box or a place out of drafts? I’ve never, not even once, placed anything on tap of my soap directly.
I guess it was just the way I was taught. I think I remember hearing it would keep the ash off but later learned that would be another issue. I don't have that issue, thank goodness. I am just simply wondering how people cover their soap. nothing else.

Gayla

Premium
I put my soap mold in a Ice cooler on top of a heating pad which temperature is set on warm, then once it’s hardened I’ll place plastic over mold & put a towel over over soap. I do check on it to make sure it’s not over heating & to assure it’s reached jell phase .

like you I cover my soap to prevent Ash along with water reduction.

Happy Soaping 🧼.

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
I guess it was just the way I was taught. I think I remember hearing it would keep the ash off but later learned that would be another issue. I don't have that issue, thank goodness. I am just simply wondering how people cover their soap. nothing else.

That makes sense! I was just wondering why the plastic wrap. Thanks for explaining it to me.

Gayla

Premium
That makes sense! I was just wondering why the plastic wrap. Thanks for explaining it to me.
Plastic wrap is to prevent soda ash. I'm not sure if it actually works, it’s just an extra measure/ tool sorta mindset.

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Plastic wrap is to prevent soda ash. I'm not sure if it actually works, it’s just an extra measure/ tool sorta mindset.
I dont’ think that actually prevents soda ash- my understanding is that it’s mostly the ingredients that make a soap vulnerable to soda ash. Most people who are concerned about soda ash spritz the soap with alcohol after pouring in the mold.