Additive Calculations

kristylkg2001

Premium
Before I bought the program, when I added in something like goats milk powder, it automatically calculated the amount I needed to add. Now it's not? I double checked my new recipe vs the one I have saved from the free version, and everything looks good. Not sure what I may be doing wrong?

kristylkg2001

Premium
New is vanilla cotton, old is Brazilian lemonade. I put the numbers in for the vanilla cotton one.

Elisheva

Premium
Same topic, different subject..... Im new to this calculator. I see that the Lye quantity increase automatically to account for the addition of citric acid. however... I'm not sure its enough.
> My understanding is my CA should be 2% of my oils. I do a 1000 oil batch. So that's 20g.
> I also have understood that the LYE should be increased 6g FOR EVERY 10g of CA. So thats 6g x 2 = 12g

So..... when testing this calculator, it only increased the lye by 6g (for a 20g addition of CA).. It should have been a 12g increase of lye. Can someone look into this?

Last edited:

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
Same topic, different subject..... Im new to this calculator. I see that the Lye quantity increase automatically to account for the addition of citric acid. however... I'm not sure its enough.
> My understanding is my CA should be 2% of my oils. I do a 1000 oil batch. So that's 20g.
> I also have understood that the LYE should be increased 6g FOR EVERY 10g of CA. So thats 6g x 2 = 12g

So..... when testing this calculator, it only increased the lye by 6g (for a 20g addition of CA).. It should have been a 12g increase of lye. Can someone look into this?

Lye should be increased when using citric acid by .624 per gram for sodium hydroxide and .842 for potassium hydroxide.

Can you give me a recipe so I can look at this calculation in your recipe?

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Before I bought the program, when I added in something like goats milk powder, it automatically calculated the amount I needed to add. Now it's not? I double checked my new recipe vs the one I have saved from the free version, and everything looks good. Not sure what I may be doing wrong?

I looked at both recipes, and while it does calculate the amount, you entered a specific amount of 2 TBSP. In order to get it to auto calculate, you need to choose the calculation you would like, here:

1688412316128.png

Things that are measured in tablespoons or teaspoons are hard, as much of the world doesn't do that so that does make it harder for the calculator. Generally, I do use goat's milk powder but often do the "tablespoons" part of it by hand since I like to add 1 TBSP per pound of oils, so in this case would use about 1.25 tablespoons.

Attachments

• 1688412200865.png
    1688412200865.png
    166.2 KB · Views: 0

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium

I didn't have a link to your recipe, but I did a 2% citric acid addition in my own recipe. It worked perfectly for me:

Without Citric acid:
1688412834281.png

With Citric acid:
1688412688823.png

That is a difference of 12.47, which is exactly right if you consider 20 x .624 rounded to the nearest hundredth.

Elisheva

Premium
Not sure how to link my recipe (I'm new to this forum) but it's made public and called "Lasting Rose-Flax Soap" by Elisheva.

I didn't want to mess with my one as I'm still awkward with this platform. But I did a fake quick test with a 100% olive oil soap with CA and only saw a 6-ish gram increase in lye.

ohhhh wait..... I see what I did! I neglected to change the CA "discount liquid?" to YES. That adjusted the lye. It did add 13.73g which is spot on! I never knew the EXACT ".624".... only the rule of thumb of +6g per 10g of CA. Thanks so much. I learn something every day!

Last edited:

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Not sure how to link my recipe (I'm new to this forum) but it's made public and called "Lasting Rose-Flax Soap" by Elisheva.

I didn't want to mess with my one as I'm still awkward with this platform. But I did a fake quick test with a 100% olive oil soap with CA and only saw a 6-ish gram increase in lye.

ohhhh wait..... I see what I did! I neglected to change the CA "discount liquid?" to YES. That adjusted the lye. It did add 13.73g which is spot on! I never knew the EXACT ".624".... only the rule of thumb of +6g per 10g of CA. Thanks so much. I learn something every day!
You don’t have to enter a liquid discount to change the lye, so I will dig into these later today. Thank you!