Goats milk

Goatgirl

Hi I am very new to soap making. I have just joined and started using the data base. My problem is how do you account for fresh goats milk? Is it's quantity 50/50 with lye?

ChemicalPyros

Hello Goatgirl,

Usually milk and such additives are added in a rebatching step to avoid overheating and other problems that usually emerge from sugars and proteins found in milk.

If you wish to try adding the milk from the beginning you can approach it in one of two ways:
- Cool the milk in a fridge for a couple of hours, then put it in a bowl of ice, and add the lye very slowly to the desired concentration. You might consider adding the lye in steps and cooling the solution in the fridge between the addition. The goal is to avoid the heating from the lye dissolution and reduce changes in color and smell. (note that this way it can get very bad very fast, so be extremely careful during preparation)
- prepare a concentrated lye solution (1:1 water:lye). Wait for it to cool down to room temp then dilute with goat milk to the desired lye concentration. this technique is less risky from a preparation point of view.

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
I freeze my goats milk (ice cube trays work great for this), then add the lye to it when frozen. I also keep it in a bowl of ice surrounding it. If you don’t keep it cool, the milk will burn.

I usually use 2.5:1 for goats’ milk: lye.

MrSheaSoap

I freeze my goats milk (ice cube trays work great for this), then add the lye to it when frozen. I also keep it in a bowl of ice surrounding it. If you don’t keep it cool, the milk will burn.

I usually use 2.5:1 for goats’ milk: lye.

Doing it this way, is any water added at any stage during the soap making process, or is the lye and goat's milk eventually added to the oils and potential additives and that's it?