Water:Lye resets to 1:1 on save

Amit

It's simple. Upon saving a recipe, the Water:Lye data resets to 1:1.
So for now I don't trust the saved result on the right, and take my Water and Lye amounts from the Results pane BEFORE I've saved it.
in the recipe below, I entered 1.2:1 but after saving the totals show the same amount of water and lye which is 1:1
Screenshot 2022-03-29 at 13.01.48.png

Soaplife84

Premium
Because of this error I have to throw away 20lbs of soap….will soap making friend be reimbursing me and thousands of others? Super pissed off

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
Because of this error I have to throw away 20lbs of soap….will soap making friend be reimbursing me and thousands of others? Super pissed off

But you don’t have to throw away soap if you used less water- it won’t be lye heavy if the lye amount is the correct amount. Less water means a stronger concentration of lye- not more lye!

If your soap is not passing the zap test, it may in a few days if it’s cold process. Can you show where the lye calculation is incorrect? That would be a big bug vs. using less water which isn’t a bug but it is inconvenient if you’re doing swirls or other things that require a longer time to trace.

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
It's simple. Upon saving a recipe, the Water:Lye data resets to 1:1.
So for now I don't trust the saved result on the right, and take my Water and Lye amounts from the Results pane BEFORE I've saved it.
in the recipe below, I entered 1.2:1 but after saving the totals show the same amount of water and lye which is 1:1
View attachment 2522

This was fixed yesterday- it turns out that it wasn’t recognizing decimals, so 1.2 rounded down to 1, and 2.5 rounded down to 2 for the concentration. Thank you for the report, and please let us know if you discover any other discrepancies.

Amit

This was fixed yesterday- it turns out that it wasn’t recognizing decimals, so 1.2 rounded down to 1, and 2.5 rounded down to 2 for the concentration. Thank you for the report, and please let us know if you discover any other discrepancies.
I'm an IT developer myself and was thinking that the input field value was probably assigned to an Integer rather than to a Float or Double. Thanks for fixing 👍

Amit

As @Yooper mentioned, there is NO reason to throw away any soap batch, a 1:1 Water/Lye concentration (though is right on the border) is perfectly ok as long as your measurements are precise.

I always use a 1.1:1 which is 10% more water the lye, just in case, and with perfect results. Actually yesterday, after I reported the bug, I made a batch using this concentration, requiring a bit of a complicated swirl, and I had a LOT of time to work on it.
Actually I had to wait over 1½ hours for the batters to reach the right trace.

That is why I always answer (on facebook forums) that people just need to use the absolute minimum amount of water needed to dissolve the lye, thats it.

Here are a couple of pics of batches where I used this concentration:

277357882_986901878607967_7170695861866171380_n.jpeg277457680_738272084286747_5166887019448398240_n.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts