Soap ingredients

Greg Bastiansz

I have the following ingredients of very old stock:
Glycerin
Neem oil
Carbolic acid
Liquid paraffin wax ( white oil)
Castor oil.
I am told that these oils have no expiration dates.
Can I use these for soap making?
Can any or all of the above oils be used with a combination of coconut oil, sunflower oil and palm olien oil.

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
Glycerin can be used to make hot process liquid soap, and neem oil can be used in soapmaking, up to about 15% or so. Castor oil is great in soapmaking, especially at about 5% for making great bubbles. I've never heard of the other items being used for soapmaking though.

Greg Bastiansz

Thank you for clarification. Anyway, I want to try making a small quantity of soap- ~ 100g total oils, with carbolic acid and white oil just to see the outcome. Nothing tried ... Nothing gained. Just for the hack of it. Will post results here.

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Thank you for clarification. Anyway, I want to try making a small quantity of soap- ~ 100g total oils, with carbolic acid and white oil just to see the outcome. Nothing tried ... Nothing gained. Just for the hack of it. Will post results here.

One thing that I would consider is that carbolic acid is acidic and will neutralize some of the lye, so you may want to look up some information on that. I use citric acid, and our software calculates for additional lye, but I have no idea about carbolic acid.

Wheatress

From my understanding neem and castor oil both have a shelf life of two years. Using any ingredients past their expiration date will most likely end in DOS, or dreaded orange spots, which not only look bad but also smell bad. FYI sunflower oil only has a shelf life of six months. Best of luck to you!

Greg Bastiansz

From my understanding neem and castor oil both have a shelf life of two years. Using any ingredients past their expiration date will most likely end in DOS, or dreaded orange spots, which not only look bad but also smell bad. FYI sunflower oil only has a shelf life of six months. Best of luck to you!
The oil container have no expiration dates. However, I have added citric acid to control DOS. I have made a small batch of Neem and Tumeric soap. Turned out okay. Curing about a week now. No issues as yet.

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
The oil container have no expiration dates. However, I have added citric acid to control DOS. I have made a small batch of Neem and Tumeric soap. Turned out okay. Curing about a week now. No issues as yet.
Citric acid requires more lye (which is an alkali) so don’t forget to use the calculator to add more lye to the recipe. (It forms sodium citrate in the soap).