Olibanum, pine resin SAP

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
Hi, is it possible to add pine resin/olibanum SAP value to the database pls?

We can- do you have a link to the information of the product you are using? I use pine tar in some soaps, but didn’t realize it had any SAP value at all. If you can give us information on the product you use and the data, I can enter it for you.

AnitaBoviz

We can- do you have a link to the information of the product you are using? I use pine tar in some soaps, but didn’t realize it had any SAP value at all. If you can give us information on the product you use and the data, I can enter it for you.
Thanks a lot, unfortunately I have not any information. I kind of hoped that you have all data needed :) I meant PINE RESIN/ROSIN not pine tar... Pine resin contains acids, so it would be able to saponified, that's all I know.

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
Rosin/resin may have a SAP value, and I believe it does as you mentioned it does have acids, but I am unable to find any specific information on your product at this time. If you have it available, or can somehow find out where to find the information we’d be able to add it.

Right now, all I have is a wild guess that it may be around .182 or so from a very old book I found but that was for liquidy soap, so it may have been a KOH value. I saw a chart that had .129, so that is wildly different. I don’t know if it depends on the product, if the rosin is homemade or purchased, etc, or what the actual SAP is but I found a source that said it has a SAP value like that of wheat germ oil so .129 for NaOH may be correct. I am hesitant to add anything to the database however without any sort of verification from a manufacturer or trusted source.

AnitaBoviz

Rosin/resin may have a SAP value, and I believe it does as you mentioned it does have acids, but I am unable to find any specific information on your product at this time. If you have it available, or can somehow find out where to find the information we’d be able to add it.

Right now, all I have is a wild guess that it may be around .182 or so from a very old book I found but that was for liquidy soap, so it may have been a KOH value. I saw a chart that had .129, so that is wildly different. I don’t know if it depends on the product, if the rosin is homemade or purchased, etc, or what the actual SAP is but I found a source that said it has a SAP value like that of wheat germ oil so .129 for NaOH may be correct. I am hesitant to add anything to the database however without any sort of verification from a manufacturer or trusted source.
I really appreciate your effort! Thanks!