Lye calculations changed with update

bigwoodssoap

Premium
My recipes all reflect a different lye calculation now. Was 18.59oz, now 19.04oz - all oils (and weights) are the same, superfat hasn't changed, citric acid hasn't changed.

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
My recipes all reflect a different lye calculation now. Was 18.59oz, now 19.04oz - all oils (and weights) are the same, superfat hasn't changed, citric acid hasn't changed.

We now have the ability to choose the strength of both NaOH and KOH, did you see that? If your NaOH is lower, the lye amount would change. I use 99% for mine.

bigwoodssoap

Premium
I saw that that had changed, so I changed the NAOH to 100% and that calculation is still higher (18.81 or something) than the 18.59% in my pre-update recipes. The lye amount is higher post-update and set to 99%. It is quite a bit of a difference

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
And improved citric acid calculations, now it adds 0.624g of NaOH for 1g of citric acid .. it was adding less amounts before

bigwoodssoap

Premium
And improved citric acid calculations, now it adds 0.624g of NaOH for 1g of citric acid .. it was adding less amounts before
That must me what it is - I am glad to know that changed as I was losing my confidence in the recipe calculations. What was it prior to the update? Was it lower than that? That would make sense to me

Latest posts