I think I just made a MAJOR boo-boo....

Homeslice

I just made some soap. I kept the temperature on low, let it "cook" for I dunno, probably only like 30 minutes or so. It started to harden so I figured it was done. I poured it in the molds. As I was cleaning everything up, just for grins and giggles I did the zap test chemicalpyros reminded me about - I put a little bit of the soap that was left in the mixing beaker on my tongue and BZZZZZZT, I got the shock of a lifetime. My tongue still hurts now 30 minutes later.

So, is that soap I made not usable? It was definitely thoroughly mixed with a stick blender a few times, so its not like it was not mixed. No chance the hydroxide and fatty acids can continue to react while it hardens to make it ok?

If those bars cannot be used as-is, can I pop them out of the mold when they harden, put them back in the beaker, add a little distilled water, and let them cook some more, this time making sure they are done before I add them to the molds?

Or is there just no salvaging them? :)

Thanks!!!

ChemicalPyros

Do not worry about the soap, just leave it covered with a nylon sheet, or isolated from ambient humidity, for at least 72 hours and the reaction will finish, then redo the zap test just to make sure.

In the case that you may have exceeded the required lye content, do not worry also, just leave it to cure in a well aerated place for several months. The excess lye will react with the CO2 present in the air and become sodium carbonate (AKA soda ash). While it may take some time to become usable and the outer aesthetics may not be top notch the quality will remain the same.

smcarroll2020

hi. either the soap hasn't finished saponification, or you have excess lye. as you add ingredients to the pot, do you happen to write it down on the printed recipe? I do this to double check my quantities. If you're confident it's not an excess lye situation, then cooking should help finish the saponification process, else superfatting should address the excess lye.
BTW Are you making soap paste, or just using heat to speed the process and pour it into a mold?