First time making liquid soap

Lbaer

Premium
Hi, yesterday I tried my hands at making liquid soap. I thought “I got this” WELL I did not have it. I used sodium hydroxide in stead of potassium hydroxide. 😠 and I know better, that’s what’s so frustrating!! Needless to say it’s fatty and there is a separation that is like water but oily?
I’m trying to dissolve it in water to make it more like liquid soap. The fats I scraped off the top turned out wonderful when diluting it with water. I’m hoping the rest will also.
My question is- is this still safe to use on the body. I read that it might be to harsh and is only good for laundry?

Lbaer

Premium
It would probably be safe if it doesn’t zap, but may need some preservatives to keep it. It sounds like it should be rebatched as a solid soap though from your description since the oil seems to not be mixed in well.
Thank you! I was wondering if it would need a preservative. Is there a natural preservative you recommend. I usually use Germaben II or Optiphen Plus. For my soap preservatives.

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
Thank you! I was wondering if it would need a preservative. Is there a natural preservative you recommend. I usually use Germaben II or Optiphen Plus. For my soap preservatives.

Sorry, I don’t use preservatives. When I make up my liquid soap, I make a paste and then dilute as needed so never bought any.

Lbaer

Premium
It would probably be safe if it doesn’t zap, but may need some preservatives to keep it. It sounds like it should be rebatched as a solid soap though from your description since the oil seems to not be mixed
Sorry, I don’t use preservatives. When I make up my liquid soap, I make a paste and then dilute as needed so never bought any.
Ok! Thanks for responding. I fell better knowing I can use it for a body wash and hand soap. I have a lot…. 😬😁
I make lotion I add GermabenII, shower gel and foaming hand soap I use Optiphen Plus.

Latest posts