First Inventory: How to account for partially used inventory

Zaylou

Premium
I’m taking inventory for the first time. I have already entered all of my full, unopened containers. How do I account for opened, partially used containers in my inventory? (Ex: how do I count a gallon of olive oil that has been partially used?). If I estimate how much is left, my inventory will be incorrect. Same if I just leave it out of the inventory. Any ideas on how to do this?

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
I’m taking inventory for the first time. I have already entered all of my full, unopened containers. How do I account for opened, partially used containers in my inventory? (Ex: how do I count a gallon of olive oil that has been partially used?). If I estimate how much is left, my inventory will be incorrect. Same if I just leave it out of the inventory. Any ideas on how to do this?

Weigh them and enter the weight- that would then give you an accurate inventory.

Zaylou

Premium
Weigh them and enter the weight- that would then give you an accurate inventory

Weigh them and enter the weight- that would then give you an accurate inventory.
If I weight it in the container, that measurement will include the weight of the container, which will mean the inventory is still incorrect. I’m needing the weight of the oil, not including the weight of the container. Is there a way to find this without emptying out the oils?

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
Not really, unless you have an empty container to weigh it in Or you can estimate the weight by weighing a similar container. Or, weigh a full container and subtract the weight of the oils and that’s how much the container weighs if it’s the same.