Oily Loaf

dschlagh

New member
Joined
Aug 16, 2026
Messages
2
I used 40% olive oil, 30% coconut oil and 30% lard in my recipe. I added Tobacco Vanilla Oil 2 oz.
My loaf has an oily top. Lye was 4.53 oz and I used frozen goats milk cubes. Is my batch ruined?
 
The amount of lye may or may not be correct- it depends on the actual amounts of the oils too. BUT vanilla oil shouldn’t play well with soap, so my gut says that’s the cause (or at least one of them). And 2 oz may be a lot, depending on the batch size.
 
I double checked the lye amount. I ended up cutting it today and it smells wonderful. Will see how it cures. Some of the oiliness went away.
 
Free Account
Save all your soap recipes.
Unlock powerful tools and join thousands of soapmakers.
  • Save & organize recipes
  • Recalculate batches instantly
  • Join the community
Create free account ›
Top