What's the difference between natural soap and Dettol bar soap

EldoradoAbrahams

Since the start of the pandemic I have been using a Dettol bar soap for hand washing and bathing. I've been thinking about making my own. What is the benefit to making my own soap? How do I get started?

Here's the soap I've been using, Dettol bar soap.

VIVENIA

Based on what I can see of the ingredients Dettol bar soap has a surfactant as well as the salt of fatty acids. It has some other ingredients to be disinfectant and help the lather. In the U.S. this could be marked as soap on the label but would be regulated by the FDA as a cosmetic or a medicine.

101Sheilas

Based on what I can see of the ingredients Dettol bar soap has a surfactant as well as the salt of fatty acids. It has some other ingredients to be disinfectant and help the lather. In the U.S. this could be marked as soap on the label but would be regulated by the FDA as a cosmetic or a medicine.
Hi, I went to the Dettol website and I don't see a list of ingredients or mention of a surfactant they use. How do I find that? Mot that I want to make Dettol, I think that cold-processed soap is my personal solution already, but the word surfactant intrigues me. I would like to read about it.

Dibennett

Premium
I think some of the oils used in Dettol might be teatree or similar as it is a disinfectant antibacterial oil. Could also use eucalyptus and tea tree together. Does not help when the website does not list ingredients used in the product. If you get a bottle of Dettol you might find a list of ingredients.

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
If it’s listed as a “sanitizer”, I assume it has some sanitizers in it, not just essential oils. I googled it, and found this:
745D471A-0EB5-4A57-B814-5E080A171873.jpeg

So its not a soap. It’s a mixture that includes some soap in it. Isopropanol is alcohol.

VIVENIA

Hi, I went to the Dettol website and I don't see a list of ingredients or mention of a surfactant they use. How do I find that? Mot that I want to make Dettol, I think that cold-processed soap is my personal solution already, but the word surfactant intrigues me. I would like to read about it.
I found the ingredients list here: Dettol Original Hygiene Bar Soap | Dettol.

The surfactant is Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate.