Water discounts & Lye amounts discrepancy

mayberrysoapco

Premium
I have been working with soapmaker 3 and moving my recipes into this program so I can access from my mac. Would it be possible to add the water discount option? It is a bit frustrating the lye solution strength is so very different and so is the ratio. Also, the lye amounts are different. I have a recipe on SM3 that calls for 18.6 oz water with 9.48 oz lye - 5% discount) at a 20% water discount - SM3 tells me this is a 33.8% solution or a 1:0.96 water to lye ratio. In this program the 33.8% solution strength is 19.92 oz water (with 9.82 oz - 5% discount).

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
You can set up your water several ways- with a ratio, with a % of oils, or as a % of lye concentration. I don’t know why SM3 shows such a difference, but most people will go with a solid ratio, like 2:1 (I do in most cases) or 2.5:1.

Water discount via a “water discount of 20%” isn’t really a thing. Discounted from what? That’s not clear. Is it from full water? And what is full water? Is it 2:1, 3:1, a percentage of oils (most likely)?

You really want to look at the ratio of water: lye to ensure it’s safe as well as the desired amount of liquid so the soap releases out of the mold faster.