Water amount in batches

carwenia

Hello,

I am using 2:1 water:lye in my recipe and it requires 5.52 oz lye and 11.04oz water. But when I start a batch with that recipe, it changes my water amount from 11.04 to 10.6oz. Why does this happen?

Thanks!

sraymoure

I had a problem with water in batches also. Using 50:50 master batch of lye. The amount of liquid required included the water that was part of the master batch. I'm sure I edited a few times in the course of building the recipe. When I deleted and started over, it gave me the correct amount of liquid. How can I avoid that problem going forward?. (I have a very soft salt bar, but assume it will dry out over the year I will age it - or do you think it might be a problem and I should discard?)

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
I had a problem with water in batches also. Using 50:50 master batch of lye. The amount of liquid required included the water that was part of the master batch. I'm sure I edited a few times in the course of building the recipe. When I deleted and started over, it gave me the correct amount of liquid. How can I avoid that problem going forward?. (I have a very soft salt bar, but assume it will dry out over the year I will age it - or do you think it might be a problem and I should discard?)

It should cure out- but I do want to look at the recipe and see where the water problem happened if possible. Since it's be edited and ok now, I can't see it though. If this happens again (it shouldn't, but if it does!), can you make sure to grab a screenshot so I can see the problem and get it to the deverloper?

sraymoure

I think what happened is more my fault. I believe when I was adjusting numbers (editing an unfinished recipe) something I did caused the master batch to turn off. I didn't realize it until I built it again and printed both recipes. I'll try to figure out what I actually did that caused it, but now I know to double check before printing.

sraymoure

I save a recipe using a master batch of NaOH. If I then go into my recipes and select it and hit edit, it saves the oils and additives and even the dual lye, but the masterbatch selected as yes is gone, and I have to add that back in.
That is what happened per above.