Test batches

1sadmomma

Premium
My test batches always either turn out just like I planned or comple failures that can't be saved. But my latest test batch turned out usable but not like I planned so I'm wondering if I should try to sell it at a discount or not. If you sell your soap, what do you do with test batches that don't meet your usual standards for sale?

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
I don’t sell- but if it’s good soap and not what you intended (color, fragrance), it’s worth selling. If it’s not great soap, I wouldn’t sell it- people will not like the quality and you won’t have them purchase anything else in the future.

1sadmomma

Premium
The design didn't turn out but the soap recipe is the same one I always make and sells pretty good. It just doesn't look good. I just feel weird about putting a failure on display.

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
The design didn't turn out but the soap recipe is the same one I always make and sells pretty good. It just doesn't look good. I just feel weird about putting a failure on display.

Can you cut them smaller and give them away as 'ugly samples'? Or use them for personal use? I agree that if they are ugly they are still very good to use, but may not give you return customers.

Sutar

You could still sell ugly soap! Use it as a sales strategy. Offer them at a discount.? You could shave them down and use them as design features in other soaps. Rebatch...Just a few ideas.

Gayla

Premium
My test batches always either turn out just like I planned or comple failures that can't be saved. But my latest test batch turned out usable but not like I planned so I'm wondering if I should try to sell it at a discount or not. If you sell your soap, what do you do with test batches that don't meet your usual standards for sale?
Personally if a Test Batch doesn’t suit my specific requirements I wouldn’t sale, but would keep for personal use. Happy Soaping 🧼