Tamanu Oil (kamani) soap - opinions

Elizevt

Hi there all.
I did a search and I can't see any posts on Tamanu oil soaps on the forum.

I had some Tamanu oil left and I didn't want it to expire.
So I made a tallow based Tamanu oil soap.

I have attached the recipe and photos below. Perhaps a few clever, experienced soaper gurus can look at the fatty acid graph % and impart some wisdom on what your opinions or predictions are on it.

During the making of the soap, The oils might have still been a bit warm, because the soap went to trace SSOooo Fast!. I only bearly got to mix it in time and plop and smoosh it into the mould in time.

It really is not the prettiest soap, it's a baby poop brown-green colour. But Tamanu oil itself is very dark green.
It's been curing for 3 weeks, I see there is some ash on it, but I didn't spray it with alcohol, so ash can be expected.

I cut a small piece off today to do a wash/lather test, and I really like it. It bubbles nicely and it feels quite luxurious.
The soap is still a little tacky/sticky inside, so It's going to cure for a few more months.
But I really like it so far.

I was only planning to make it a one time batch, but after today's test, I'm kinda thinking of making it again. I'll see in a month or 2 how it looks and feels. I'll just have to see what I can do about reducing the trace time. I wanted to do a creative pour or perhaps add TD to half and make it 2-tone, but it firmed up way too fast for me to add anything.

Let me know what you think of the recipe, and if you think it will be a good soap?

Tamanu soap 1.png
Tamanu soap 2.png

tamanu soap 1.jpg

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
That's a LOT of tamanu oil for a soap. We don't have it available here (at least not at a price that I'd use for soap!) but I'd probably go with no more than 15% in a recipe, and likely a lot less (like 5%). I just have to guess as to the properties, but I'm thinking it would be like castor oil in that it could be sticky if used too much.

Still, if you like it and it would be very conditioning, I think it's worthwhile. I might wait before making another batch, or at least make a very small batch, just to see if that stickiness goes away. It sounds like a very rich and conditioning soap!