shampoo bar recipe needs help

pankaj

hi there we are making hot process shampoo bar but it is not coming out right as results are not satisfying . My shampoo bar changes its results (outcome ) after one months time ,it cleans hair very well shine was there but hair tangling was a big problem . After this I added conditioner ( pro vitamin b 5 panthenol 5% only ) but results were tangling was not there but we lost hair shine and silkiness in hair {looked grease} .
shampoo bar recipe we used : coconut oil , castor oil , olive oil , sesame oil , black sesame seeds , onion oil and vinegar
please suggest and help with the recipe
regards
pankaj

ChemicalPyros

Hello @pankaj,

A soap is usually designed to remove unwanted stuff from hair/skin/...
So adding water soluble molecules to your shampoo bar is not a great strategy because it will wash off with the water and go down the drain. The best approach is to use conditioners that are nonionic and are insoluble in soap or in water.

Usually silicones do the trick, but I am guessing that you do not wish to use them. So I would recommend that you make a hair oil/serum to be used after washing with the soap.

Davali

Premium
@pankaj you will probably receive more responses if you post this question over on the SoapMakingForum.com. That is the sister group to this one, and is very active with a fair number of folks who make shampoo bars, including some who have posted recipes. You can also check out HumbleBee&Me.com for some good shampoo bar recipes.

These are all syndet recipes, btw. I will warn you that if you are making a "shampoo bar" from a lye soap recipe, you will receive many warnings that lye soap is not good for hair in the long term. But there are a few hair soap recipes posted, and you can make your own decision after you read about both sides of this issue.

smcarroll2020

Hi. you can't make shampoo bars using a soap method. As mentioned above, you can make hair and scalp cleansing soap bars, but not shampoo bars. all soaps are alkaline. Shampoo is usually acidic, but no tear formula are around pH 7, usually. shampoo chemistry is very different than soap chemistry.

Alkaline opens the hair shaft and leads to tangle and snarling. Some people have tough enough and short enough hair that soap works for them. for people with long hair, extremely curly, like c4, hair, dyed hair, soap is very damaging and drying. It also leaves a heavy residue and the hair will feel lank and "greasy" within a day or so.

If you plan to use soap on hair, then you need an acidic post rinse. Maybe someth like diluted apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, if you're going for natural. this acidic rinse will close down the hair shaft, making it smoother, and help with the tangle issue.

btw, soap is a surfactant. With your background in soaping, you might want to consider exploring the surfactants that are used in shampoo bars e.g. sci, decyl glucoside, etc.