Pure Coconut Oil

TriniKellKells

I did a search and no results came up. In my country I have access to Pure Coconut Oil, the label says its good to use for annointing, massaging and lighting degas. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to remove the smell of it. I'd like to use it in soap. Can anyone guide me on this please?

ChemicalPyros

Hello TriniKellKells,

What you are looking for is commonly known as coconut oil RBD (refined, bleached, deodorized). You should be able to find it at food suppliers.

Deodorizing is a long process that may take a lot of your time and budget, because it requires a vacuum distillation unit, and a lot of know how (optimal temperature, time, solvents, ...).

Hope this helps

TriniKellKells

Hello TriniKellKells,

What you are looking for is commonly known as coconut oil RBD (refined, bleached, deodorized). You should be able to find it at food suppliers.

Deodorizing is a long process that may take a lot of your time and budget, because it requires a vacuum distillation unit, and a lot of know how (optimal temperature, time, solvents, ...).

Hope this helps

Thanks, I already buy Coconut oil that is used for cooking but I got this set from a friend and just wanted to use it up to make soap but I'm a little worried the scent of the pure coconut oil may not be covered by the fragrance or essential oils I want to use in the batches.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210623-145304_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210623-145304_Gallery.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 3

ChemicalPyros

I would suggest in this case pairing it with some essential oils or FOs to mask it instead of eliminating it, this way you can make it work to your advantage.

Trudybee

Hello
Thanks, I already buy Coconut oil that is used for cooking but I got this set from a friend and just wanted to use it up to make soap but I'm a little worried the scent of the pure coconut oil may not be covered by the fragrance or essential oils I want to use in the batches.
Hello, I agree with ChemicalPyros. I am from Jamaica and coconut oil from the islands usually has a slightly nutty, warm aroma. My recommendation is to pair it with a FO like vanilla, chocolate, even a pineapple just in case in peaks through it will still blend with you fragrance of choice.