Premake Batches

BBettina

Hi everyone, I have only just started soap making and only used melt and pour soap bases so far.
I am about to get the full kit for the cold process method and i was wondering if it is possible to make soap base batches (just like the melt and pour base) with the cold process, let it cure for 4-6 weeks and then remelt it and add oils, colors?
Thank you very much in advance, have a great day and good luck to everyone on their journey :)

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
Sure, you could do that. It’s called “rebatching” or milled soap, but it’s a big pain for sure. Once the soap cures, it’s more difficult to get it to melt and sometimes it stays chunky. Most people who rebatch will do it immediately before it cures to avoid problems.

It’s probably much longer to rebatch with decent results than it is to just make up a batch of soap. When I do cold process soap, it’s about 20 minutes from melting the oils to pouring it into molds. So you’d add a very long length of time to grating the cured soap, melting it with a little water, trying to get it not so gloppy, and then pouring it again. I don’t think you’d be happy with the results either.

BBettina

Thank you so much for your detailed reply :) I'm glad i found this forum, looks like there are a lot of helpful people who are in the same shoes :) x