Oil leaking from CP soap

Locklyn

Hello I am having issues with my soap I have never had before. The recipe I'm using is 38% of water to oils 5% super fat 20% babassu oil, 45% olive oil, 30% beef tallow, 5% castor oil, .5 ounce honey, and .5 ounce ground oatmeal. I do replace the water with frozen goat milk. The soap does not mix well the trace is super fast and becomes thick really fast. Then after putting it in the mold and sitting for a bit it leaks orange oil. I have never used castor oil and I'm not sure if this is the issue. Any advice would be great.

Thank you

Attachments

• 20221116_071526.jpg
    20221116_071526.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 8

Locklyn

I have made this batch twice one at 110 degrees for oils and 80 degrees with the goat milk did the same thing and this batch was 90 degrees oils and 60 degrees goat milk. I am using a stick blender and I mix the honey with the oils first. I do also use sodium lactate forgot to mention that. I am mixing for at least a minute if not longer. It just gets to thick to work with fast.

Attachments

• 20221116_130322.jpg
    20221116_130322.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 2

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
Beef tallow melts at 45C-50C (113-122F) so it seems to me that you're getting a false trace as you drop below the melting point of the tallow.

A good explanation of that comes from Soap Queen false trace Archives - Soap Queen.

When making cold process soap, beware of false trace. False trace occurs when soap batter appears to be a thick consistency, but the oils and butters have not saponified. Perhaps the most common cause of false trace is using solid oils or butters at too cool of a temperature. If solid butters and fats are below their melting point, the oils and butters may re-solidify. When this occurs, the soap batter may begin to thicken due to the oils and butters cooling and solidifying, and not because saponifaction is taking place. To avoid false trace, ensure any hard oils or butters are thoroughly melted and do not cool during the soaping process.

1sadmomma

Premium
Hello I am having issues with my soap I have never had before. The recipe I'm using is 38% of water to oils 5% super fat 20% babassu oil, 45% olive oil, 30% beef tallow, 5% castor oil, .5 ounce honey, and .5 ounce ground oatmeal. I do replace the water with frozen goat milk. The soap does not mix well the trace is super fast and becomes thick really fast. Then after putting it in the mold and sitting for a bit it leaks orange oil. I have never used castor oil and I'm not sure if this is the issue. Any advice would be great.

Thank you
I had a similar issue the first time I made milk soap. I was so obsessed with keeping the temperature low so I wouldn't scorch the milk that I got the false trace Yooper is talking about. I started using powdered milk, mixing it into the oils before I add the lye solution and putting in the fridge immediately after pouring. Hasn't happened since.