Making a powdered soap

Bean

I would like to make a powdered soap. I have some ideas, but keep in mind that I know very little about soap making processes. The idea is to make a soap powder that can be lathered by applying directly to a wet bath sponge or maybe a brush. It will moisturizing and slick. Ok so here is my idea for a basic recipe. I would like, if possible, to combine hot tallow, talc, lanolin and SLSA to make a hard bar, cut the bar into small chunks, and maybe grind it up into a powder using some kind of electric grinder like a coffee grinder. If this idea or parts of it will not work, please gently guide me in a better direction. The point of this powder is to develop a unique, handmade product for personal use and possibly to sell to a niche market, but I’d rather not say more yet. I’ll be testing the product on myself, my wife and two friends before I ever consider selling it.

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
I hope you find something that works for you. I’ve never tried that exactly, but I did grind up some soap to use for stains/etc. It didn’t work well, as it didn’t dissolve in water and formed a slimy mass.

that may be the issue for you, too- soap doesn’t really dissolve in water.