I am puzzled , what’s there in soap

Karan1

Hi I am Karan from India , I am making soaps for past 5 years and never faced this kind of a problem I have been using this recepie for long and had success all the time but lately this is the second batch which has spoiled , confused what’s there in it
1) is it a glycerine river
2) unsaponified oil
The recipe
Sunflower oil - 33%
Coconut oil - 20%
Palm stearin - 20%
Palm oil - 20%
Castor oil - 7%
Water - 361 grams
Lye - 128.49 grams
Fragrance - 29 grams
Super fat - 7%
Salt - 1 tsp
Citric acid - 2%
Temperature - 100 f
This time freeze it to tackle the problem but it’s still there
Please help , need your advise

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

ChemicalPyros

Hello,
While I cannot say that those are glycerin rivers, I cannot confirm it 100%. To me this a product of pouring too early, probable due to a false trace. Anyway I recommend that you mix a little more to make sure that you achieve the trace.
You can also add some starch, this can help you with the early trace and with glycerin rivers, but it my affect the viscosity and thus your ability to make the nice textures you are making.

Karan1

Thanks a lot chemicalpyros
I have read somewhere that citric acid effects the strength of lye in soap
For every 10 grams of citric acid I have to add extra 6 grams of lye
What do you suggest this is the problem

Karan1

Hello,
While I cannot say that those are glycerin rivers, I cannot confirm it 100%. To me this a product of pouring too early, probable due to a false trace. Anyway I recommend that you mix a little more to make sure that you achieve the trace.
You can also add some starch, this can help you with the early trace and with glycerin rivers, but it my affect the viscosity and thus your ability to make the nice textures you are making.
Thanks for the reply , highly appreciate
If I mix the batter more it freezes ,
And if you think it’s a false trace then is it due to low temperature 100 f

ChemicalPyros

The temperature is fine, it may be due to the citric acid but I doubt it, because even if it reduces the lye, the quantity is still small enough and can cause some superfatting which does not affect the soap greatly.
When I put the recipe in the calculator, I noticed that you have a huge amount of palmitic acid (around 25%) add that to the stearic acid (around 5%) this amounts to a very hard soap which is nice, but the trace will be very hard. so if you are up to changing the recipe I can suggest the recipe below:
- Sunflower 35%
- Coconut 20%
- Palm Stearin 5%
- Palm 35%
- Castor 5%

the rest of the additives can remain the same. With this formula you will have a nicer trace much more suitable for designs while having a nice soap.

Hope this helps

Trudybee

Hi I am Karan from India , I am making soaps for past 5 years and never faced this kind of a problem I have been using this recepie for long and had success all the time but lately this is the second batch which has spoiled , confused what’s there in it
1) is it a glycerine river
2) unsaponified oil
The recipe
Sunflower oil - 33%
Coconut oil - 20%
Palm stearin - 20%
Palm oil - 20%
Castor oil - 7%
Water - 361 grams
Lye - 128.49 grams
Fragrance - 29 grams
Super fat - 7%
Salt - 1 tsp
Citric acid - 2%
Temperature - 100 f
This time freeze it to tackle the problem but it’s still there
Please help , need your advise

Hi Karen,
The only time I have seen something similar to this was due to a fragrance oil. The manufacture stated it was safe to use in soap and the soap turned out to a mushy mess. I would recommend you do a small test batch with no fragrance, along side another small test batch with the fragrance you use in the soap. Vendors do change suppliers and manufacturers so it is something to think about.

Karan1

The temperature is fine, it may be due to the citric acid but I doubt it, because even if it reduces the lye, the quantity is still small enough and can cause some superfatting which does not affect the soap greatly.
When I put the recipe in the calculator, I noticed that you have a huge amount of palmitic acid (around 25%) add that to the stearic acid (around 5%) this amounts to a very hard soap which is nice, but the trace will be very hard. so if you are up to changing the recipe I can suggest the recipe below:
- Sunflower 35%
- Coconut 20%
- Palm Stearin 5%
- Palm 35%
- Castor 5%

the rest of the additives can remain the same. With this formula you will have a nicer trace much more suitable for designs while having a nice soap.

Hope this helps
With this recipe how max super fat we can go for