Goat milk soap

lgrumbley

Hello! I'm new here and was wondering if someone could take a look at my recipe to see if I need to make any adjustments to it. I'm using goat milk for my liquid and I put in the amounts for my basic recipe. I'd like to add some variations to it but not until I get my basic recipe down. Any helpful hints would be amazing!

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
That’s too much coconut oil for my taste- it can be very drying. I’d lower that to 20% and increase the shortening and olive oil. I”d like to see a harder bar- with a longevity of 22, it will disappear in the shower fast. Are those the only oils you have access to?

1sadmomma

Premium
I'd just say that soap made with the Walmart shortening might have a shorter shelf life. I used to use it frequently but after about 3-4 months some batches would develop a rancid smell and DOS. Some of my batches never developed either but more than half had at least one or the other. I think it depends on how long the shortening sat in a warehouse or on the shelf. I switched it out by replacing half the amount in RSPO Certified palm and the other half of the amount in Shea Butter and haven't had the problem since. If you're not concerned about shelf life though, I think it looks fine, especially if it's just for your use. Don't be afraid to experiment. It's how you find out what works for you.