Essential Oil problem - What happened???

JoyfulSudz

I'm just beginning to use EOs rather than FOs and ran into a problem on my first batch. I mixed together Crafter's Choice Sweet Orange EO (1.2 oz) with Sun Pure Botanicals Patchouli EO (.35 oz). Stirred them together, seemed okay. But when I went to add them to my batter at trace, it had separated into oil with a tarry glop at the bottom. I went ahead and poured the liquid oil into my batch and this photo is what I had left. It took a brillo pad to clean the tarry mess out of my mixing cup.Orange & Patchouli EOs.jpg Any ideas what happened?

Last edited:

jacobhencke

Is the oil quality ok? Maybe you should try other options. I personally order these Essential Oils since they're great for soap making. I've never had such a problem, but I hope it may help you.

Dibennett

Premium
I have had a rather gummy mess left in my glass measuring jug after using Orange EO actually I find citrus EOs do this... I just used Rosemary and Peppermint in a batch and I mixed it with Kaolin clay before adding to the batter, it seemed to work well.

JoyfulSudz

@Dibennett Thanks for the tip about the clay. I'll give it a try.
I've used Orange EO numerous times before without a problem. The patchouli does seem to be the issue here since it separates out even by itself.

Carmine

Premium
I have had a rather gummy mess left in my glass measuring jug after using Orange EO actually I find citrus EOs do this... I just used Rosemary and Peppermint in a batch and I mixed it with Kaolin clay before adding to the batter, it seemed to work well.

I love this method to anchor my scents. The night before I make soap i mix the EO & FO in a small cups with the clay and stir them up in the morning and just before I use them. Works wonders. As for the clumps in the first post, not sure why you had the results. Try the clay method. Stay away from bentonite clay for this method.