Cylinder volumes

CathyB

Premium
Hi Peeps,

I am trying to calculate a recipe for a cylinder 3.75cm radius and 25 cm tall but the amount of oils are only 110g in total- can anyone advise please?

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
I think that the calculator only works for square/rectangle molds.
For a cylinder, the volume of a cylinder is calculated using Pi times radius x radius x height. That gives you the volume in cubic inches, and then if you multiple that by 0.4 you should get the total amount of oils needed. That should work.

CathyB

Premium
Hi Yooper, thank you so much, I will try again. The calculator in the recipe builder does say cylinder, but, as you say it doesn't work as well as the square/rectangle choice.
can you explain why multiply by .4- is that oil weight as I prefer to work in grams?
Also (if you don't mind explaining!) how do I work out oil weigh for 11044 cm3 as that's the volume of my cylinder?

Many thanks
Cathy

Last edited:

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
Yes, that's the oil weight. It's .4 of the volume- it's not always perfect (it depends on the ratio of the water amount), but it's generally a great place to start. This assumes "full water", with no water discount.

I'm metric challenged, but that formula should also work for cm/grams. It's the same formula just different names for the measurements. V=πr²h (volume = pi times radius squared times height) then a percentage of that volume is used for the oils.

jeboz

I just used the calculator as well for a pipe and only half filled the mould with the total weight it gave me.
When looking back I thought it may have meant diameter instead of radius but that gave a monster figure of oils.

freynf

Premium
I can’t get the amount of liquid to show on the calculator it shows 0