Colors in bar graph

rkroll

Hi. I'm new to soap making and really like your recipe builder. Can you please explain what the different colors mean in the graph of soap properties? Thanks!

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
You mean this graph?
E6B9EBD6-583C-4E9A-85A7-C042376F4497.jpeg
The red means you are out of the standard recommended range for each of those properties (see I’m really high or low on those), and the green is showing that I am in the standard recommended range for those properties. The graph below that shows the % of each of the fatty acids that give the soap its properties.

rkroll

Sometimes the bar is yellow. Is that just when you are on the edge of suggested range? Thanks!

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Sometimes the bar is yellow. Is that just when you are on the edge of suggested range? Thanks!

Yes, exactly. It doesn’t mean “stop!” but it means to take a look at it to make sure it’s what you want.

If you see the example above, almost all of my graph is red! BUT that doesn’t mean it’s not an awesome soap. It’s a salt bar with a huge 20% superfat. The idea of having green/yellow/red is not to stop you from making a soap that you know will be what you want- it’s simply to alert you that you may be out of the norm for a standard soap guideline.

Dibennett

Premium
Trooper, so this is my latest recipe which smelt great but did not stay together when I cut it, the bars cracked. What could I have changed to get a harder longer lasting soap?
65F765B6-838D-47E5-A003-B362CFBA6292.png

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
The INS number is very low- that may be ok but it also means the bars will at first be very soft. Did you let the soap gel? how old was it when it was cut? Olive oil soaps do take a long time to harden, but it shouldn't "crack" at all!