Change suggested value for Cleansing

Davali

I'm wondering why all the soap calcs set suggested cleansing value at 12-22. Experienced soapers know that most body soaps are going to be gentler at 0-15-ish, with even that being the high end, IMO. But inexperienced soapers don't know this, and often mistakenly make soaps with cleansing at 17 or so - because they think that mid-range is best for every value. It just seems silly to me to keep using a range that almost none of us really agree with --do we??

I also wonder if each suggested range for each quality could have a little informational icon that could be popped open to explain what the value represents, and why one might choose to be at one end or the other (or in the middle) of the suggested range.

Thanks for considering this!

Yooper

Administrator
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
You’re right- even a soap cleansing value of 0 will still clean.

This value though represents the ability of the soap to “grab” onto oils. It is the sum of the recipes combination of the percentage of lauric and myristic percentages.

Davali

Thank you for responding so quickly - I appreciate that. 😃

I guess I didn’t explain myself well. I get that each factor - cleansing, bubbly, longevity, etc. - represents the sum of specific fatty acids. I’m good with that and am not suggesting we change that.

The part I don’t understand is why all the calculators must stick with certain suggested ranges for those factors. This is especially true for Cleansing, where almost no one who knows about soap formulating actually stays within that range for formulating.

Is there something else going on with the science or politics (FDA or other regulators?) that this suggested range cannot be modified to more accurately reflect real world usage?

To say it another way, if we were designing this today, with no history to influence us, and given that soap formulators tend to use a very different range in real life, would you still set the Cleansing range of values from 12 -22? If so, why?

I appreciate your wisdom in this and look forward to learning more.

Yooper

Administrator
No, I think the cleansing values would stay the same. It’s because it’s a safe range, without being too drying or too oil heavy. You can always go out of the ranges, but staying within the range means that until you are more experienced you will have a good idea of the properties of the soap.

Davali

No, I think the cleansing values would stay the same. It’s because it’s a safe range, without being too drying or too oil heavy. You can always go out of the ranges, but staying within the range means that until you are more experienced you will have a good idea of the properties of the soap.
I guess the issue then is that new soapers need to do a lot more studying before they try to create recipes. It’s a daily thing to answer questions from people who sincerely believe that a good soap, or even the perfect soap, requires a recipe where each number is in the exact middle of the suggested ranges. Makes me batty. Perhaps I need to step away from the keyboard! But so many people helped me along the way that I do like to help others who are just starting.

Yooper

Administrator
Yes, I see what you are saying. But changing the numbers would really be a nightmare, because that range, while not perfect, will give you a perfectly reasonable soap. To change it would mean that it would be even harder for new soapmakers to judge what is a good baseline to start with.

Latest posts