Are there places that sell the individual triglycerides that make up the oils that go into soap?

Homeslice

No matter what oil you use to make your soap, it is still going to be a mix of different types of triglycerides, some based on oleic acid, some linoleic acid, some linolenic acid, etc. etc. Are there any places that sell (at a reasonable price hopefully!) the different fatty acid based triglycerides? That way would would have SO much more customization possiblities. You could make a soap based only on one single type of fatty acid for shits and giggles. Or you could add just a little bit of this or that fatty acids here or there to customize your recipe just a LITTLE bit to add more lather, conditioning, moisturizing, etc. etc. Does such a thing exist?

Thanks!!!

ChemicalPyros

To the best of my knowledge it is difficult to find triglycerides of one single type of fatty acids. On the other hand, you can find easily (on amazon, ...) purified fatty acids. The most common known fatty acid is stearic acid, it is used in soap and candle making and relatively cheap.

Oleic acid, palmitic acid and myristic acid are also relatively easy to find, the rest is more difficult but doable.

Keep in mind that saponifying fatty acids will give you the sodium salt of the said fatty acid without glycerin (which is made by breaking down the triglycerides).

So happy hunting.

Last edited:

Homeslice

Thank you ChemicalPyros! If you ever come by pure (or something close to it) gamma linolenic acid or alpha linolenic acid, either as triglycerides or free fatty acids, please let me know. Not just for soap making, but I like their beauty and health benefit profiles just generally. :) Thanks!

smcarroll2020

Hi. Can you say a little more about what problem you're trying to solve? e.g. increase speed to trace? Increase transparency?