Any ballpark suggestions on amount of fragrance/colors to use?

Homeslice

I got some random (and cheap!) fragrances and colors to use on my second soap making attempt. A picture of them is below (3 fragrance bottles, then that little color one is one I took out of the pack of colors I bought next to it). Does anyone have any very ballpark recommendations on how much of each to use? Like maybe a ML of fragrance/color to MG of oil ratio? Or is it more of just a "go by your own sight and smell" kind of thing, generally? I'm definitely not looking for perfection here, just some general guidance or thoughts.

Thanks!!!

ChemicalPyros

Usually the recommendation is to not go above 5% or you risk irritation.

But depending on the fragrance/perfume, you can play it safely between 1 and 3%.

and yes, the best way to go is by your own sight and smell.

Homeslice

Thanks Chemical! I will use the 1% to 3% as a guideline and try and go by that, but smell as well. As a general matter, if I add some smells to the soap while its baking, and I can smell the smell in the mix, when the final soap is done, is it likely to have a stronger smell than that, weaker, or about the same?

Same question for when I add my colors.

Thanks!!!

ChemicalPyros

Fragrances/Perfumes/Essential oils are cold mistresses when it comes to soap, only with experimentation and extensive notetaking that you master the art of adding them. My recommendation is to smell it during baking, then after cooling, then after 48/72 hours, then after 1 month and if you have the patience after 1 and 2 years. Of course take detailed notes of the smell and of the color evolution, especially with new FOs.