7.5 oz lye
13 oz lard
Lemon Honey Fragrance Oil - 8 oz from Bramble Berry 3.60 ounces
After sitting for five weeks my soap is very soft
what would I add for a hard bar?
Any suggestions is greatly appreciated
Thank You!

numike

what about adding Sodium Lactate? add around 1 teaspoon for every pound (16 oz) of oils in a recipe, stirred into the cooled lye solution. For example, if your soap recipe has 32 oz (907 g) of oil, then use 2 tsp of sodium lactate

numike

coconut oil olive oil lard slow heat to 130 F Add goats milk ice cubes to lard mix together to 130F add to the oils/lard when its at trace add the fragrance

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
I ran the part of the recipe I understood through the software. You're low on lye, so it's over 9% superfat just with the oils.
Adding goats' milk add more superfat. But I have no idea about the fragrance oil- did you add that much?
The recipe normally wouldn't be that soft, but with that much superfat and a high INS number, it could really be very soft. It also could go rancid easily.
If it's not usable, you'll have to rebatch it.

numike

I freeze the goats milk into ice cubes than add a few of the goats milk cubes in a container than slowly add a bit of lye --mix them-- add a few more cubes and a bit more lye--mix them-- and so on until the goats milk and lye become one

numike

I absolutley appreciate the time you are taking with me.. how would you improve this recipe?

numike

maybe i should not freeze the goats milk (thats adding ice liquid?) and just add the goats milk little by little to the lye keeping the mixing container in an ice bath and watching the temp closely so it does not overheat past 130F ?

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
maybe i should not freeze the goats milk (thats adding ice liquid?) and just add the goats milk little by little to the lye keeping the mixing container in an ice bath and watching the temp closely so it does not overheat past 130F ?

No, freezing the goat's milk is great- but I wondered if you used water + goat's milk.

numike

This coming week I will make my last batch of goats milk soap for this year. Just a quick comment: My initial teacher from years ago only makes soap AFTER the new moon. He believes that is when soap should be made. He also (as I do) make the soap early in the day..pour it in its mold(s)...let it sit until the early evening than put the mold(s) in the freezer overnight. On the next morning set out your mold(s) from the freezer..allowing them to thaw then plop them out! I dont know if this process does anything at all with regard to the quality of the soap. Thank You!