DIY mold

Sherrill

Any pointers, pros and cons of using PVC pipe as mold? Optimal length of pipe to use? How to ensure my soap will come out of it?

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
I know that some friends use PVC as molds, and I think one mentioned using mineral oil for the “lining”, and another said she used curled freezer paper to line the PVC.
I haven’t tried it (don’t like round soaps) but I think I’d not use anything, and then just gently warm the PVC and soap when it’s time to unmold and then push it out from one end to the other.

The freezer paper, rolled into a tube and put inside and allowed to expand is probably the most reasonable way to do it though!

Sherrill

Can anyone advise how long a piece of PVC is optimal for having the soap release? Or with freezer paper, would length not matter?

Zigziggyzig

The pvc should match your batch size and the size of the soap that you want. Some people cut the pvc in half and then use something to hold it together while your soap hardens. If you don't get a smooth or even cut when you split the pvc in half you can use parchment or freezer paper to line the two halves in order to prevent any leaking.