Almond oil substitute

CathyB

Premium
Hi soapy folk,
Can anyone recommend a sweet almond oil substitute that works the same way please?
I have a client who is allergic to all nuts so must make soap without and nut oils.
I only use about 5% but like the way it comes out, especially if I use frosting.
Any advice appreciated? I've been told Apricot kernel oil is good, but as its from the 'nut' does this mean my client may be affected?

Thanks
Cathy

Last edited:

ChemicalPyros

Hello Cathy,

Sweet almond oil is an oleic oil (the main fatty acid is oleic acid). So you can replace it with an oleic oil such as olive oil, avocado oil and rice bran oil (there are more examples, but it will all come down to your clients preferences or to what is available in your region).

Hope this helps

CathyB

Premium
Hello Cathy,

Sweet almond oil is an oleic oil (the main fatty acid is oleic acid). So you can replace it with an oleic oil such as olive oil, avocado oil and rice bran oil (there are more examples, but it will all come down to your clients preferences or to what is available in your region).

Hope this helps
That's very helpful, thank you!

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
I was just thinking about this- and avocado oil is probably my favorite of those. Rice bran oil is also very nice as a sub for sweet almond oil. A closer sub is probably something also a seed oil- like avocado oil, but also apricot kernel oil and other oils made from seeds.

CathyB

Premium
Thank you Yooper, I have opted for Apricot kernel oil as its slightly lighter in colour and I'd like to add some colour.

PaulMcClain

Canola wouldn't be a bad substitute either. If your looking to add some color Avocado, and Rice Bran would be the obvious choices. If your concerned with oleic acid, then consider High Oleic Sunflower oil.

If you don't have an oil/fatty acid profile chart, try www.thesoapdish.com.

CathyB

Premium
Thanks Paul, I can't get Canola in the UK, but will look out for high Oleic Sunflower oil.
I'll check out the Soap Dish too.

thanks again
Cathy

PaulMcClain

Hi Cathy,
It's hard to believe that you can't find canola oil in the UK; it's probably the second largest commodity oil in the world. Have you looked for it under its' other name,"rapeseed oil?" Check out your grocers, specialty food stores. and WalMart, if you have one. If all else fails, and the shipping isn't prohibitive, there's always Amazon.

CAUTION (FYI) when buying sunflower oil (SFO). Most SFO sold today is high oleic SFO, because it's less susceptible to rancidity. The fatty acid profile for high oleic SFO is 7-20% linoleic and 70-85% oleic. Regular SFO is 40-74% linoleic, and 15-40% oleic. And, just to make it more confusing, some labels state that it is "mid-range" SFO. If the label values are high in monounsaturated FA it's probably high oleic SFO. If it's high in polyunsaturated FA, it's probably regular SFO. If it says "mid-range," your guess is as good as mine.

My Best,
Paul