CP donut trouble

smilingsteph

Hello all,
I have watched many videos and searched the forum for this, but found nothing
I made some soap donuts.
I took them from the mold 24 hours later, then made the cold process glaze.
I spritzed with isopropyl alcohol and then added the glaze like I saw on the videos (youtube)
After 24 hours, the topping just crumbled right off.

Is there anything I can do differently?
If I use melt and pour to top, will it do the same thing?
I figure if it ends up curing after 6 weeks it will shrink and the topping will fall off again.

Should I just relinquish and put the topping in the mold first and then pour on top of that?

I am bummed because I now have these plain brown donut soaps with no toppings, what can I do with them? To make them look cute?

Thank you in advance

Yooper

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Upper Peninsula of Michigan/ Florida Gulf Coast
That's a good question. In my experience, I've never had soap "stick" to another soap after CP was completed. I am sorry that I have no good suggestions, but I hope someone else does and I'd like to know the answer myself.

smilingsteph

Thank you! I had a feeling this would be the answer. I might just use them later as embeds in another cold process. They were a delicious pumpkin fragrance. I went and got a vanilla cake scent and will just go for a pumpkin vanilla bar soap.
I was thinking of going outside the "mold" pun intended, hahaha.
I ended up doing a "volcano type" fragrance CP today. With purple, blue, white and teal. I have to redeem myself after yesterdays heartbreak :)

ChemicalPyros

you should try decreasing the lye concentration for the topping (if you use a lye concentration of 33.33% for the CP donut, try a lye concentration of 25% for the topping). the additional water will help it stick without crumbling.
if this method fails, try a different oil recipe for the topping, go with more "soft oils" (increase oleic, linoleic, linolenic, ricinoleic acids in the fatty acid profile, or go 60% unsaturated fatty acids/40% saturated fatty acids).
note that it is better that you put the soap after pouring the topping in a closed environment (a closed box) for 24 to 48 hours then taking it out and leave it to cure.